Jolly Phonics Dictionary
Discover new words in this award-winning dictionary. Divided into 4 colour-coded sections (matching the Jolly Phonics Alphabet poster), children can find carefully-written definitions of over 6,000 age-appropriate words. Featuring colourful illustrations throughout of the Jolly Phonics characters, the dictionary also provides a unique Pronunciation Guide to help children become independent readers and writers. 340 pages.
Letters and Sounds
Phase 6 (Year 2)
• Using dictionaries and spelling checkers
• Children should be taught to use a dictionary to check their spelling. By Phase Six, the repeated singing of an alphabet song at earlier phases should have familiarised them with alphabetical order. Their first dictionary practice should be with words starting with different letters, but once they are competent at this, they should learn how to look
• At second and subsequent letters when necessary Having found the correct spelling of a word, children should be encouraged to memorise it.
Years 3 and 4 programme of study:
• Use dictionaries to check the meaning of words that they have read
• Use the first two or three letters of a word to check its spelling in a dictionary
Years 5 and 6 programme of study
• Use dictionaries to check the spelling and meaning of words
• Use the first three or four letters of a word to check spelling, meaning or both of these in a dictionary